You are currently viewing How to apply for a student travel card?

How to apply for a student travel card?

Share this:


If your college or university is outside Greater London but you live in a London borough during term time and travel regularly, ask your college or university if they’re registered on the 18+ Student Oyster photocard scheme. You can save 30% on adult-rate Travelcards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets. Also, you can also use this Oyster card to pay as you go but you won’t receive the 30% discount.

Steps to apply:

You apply online once you’ve enrolled with your college or university.

You need to provide:

  • Active email address
  • Student enrolment ID from your college or university
  • London borough address
  • Digital photo which must be a .jpg, .bmp or .gif file and less than 6MB

You pay an administration fee of £20 using a credit or debit card.

You can get a photocard valid for up to three years of your course.

We’ll post your 18+ Student Oyster photocard to you once your school, college or university has approved your application.

Check your application status:

  • Sign in to your photocard web account
  • If you gave us your mobile number when you applied, we’ll text you when your photocard is on its way

How to use and where to buy:

Once you get your 18+ Student Oyster photocard, sign in to your photocard web account to:

  • Buy discounted Travelcards
  • Buy discounted Bus & Tram Pass season tickets
  • Add pay as you go credit – you don’t get discounted pay as you go fares

You can also buy discounted Travelcards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets at Oyster Ticket Stops, Tube stations and Visitor Centres. You can buy discounted Travelcards at some National Rail stations.

Your 18+ Student Oyster photocard expires when your course ends.